If you’re thinking of buying an engagement ring, you’ve probably considered buying an engagement ring online. After all, you buy nearly everything else online, so it only makes sense to shop for an engagement ring on the internet as well. However, if you’re going to shop online for a ring, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
Here is everything you need to know about buying an engagement ring online.
The 4 Cs
Some aspects of engagement ring shopping are the same whether you’re shopping in a store or on the internet. This is one of them. Understanding diamonds before buying one is very important. There are many different aspects that differentiate a high-quality stone from a poor-quality stone. The good news is you don’t have to do intense research and become an expert to buy a great diamond. The 4 Cs of diamond quality can give you all the information you need to compare diamonds and know the relative value of a stone.
The 4 Cs of diamond quality are: Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat weight. These factors are accepted worldwide and can help you choose the right diamond for your price range, whether you are buying an engagement ring online or in person.
- The cut of a diamond refers to its symmetry, polish and, proportions. This is different from the shape of a diamond (oval, round, pear, emerald-shaped, etc.).
- All diamonds are created from rough stones, and how the diamond is cut will affect its appearance.
- Of all the 4 Cs, the cut best determines the beauty or sparkle of a diamond.
- Cut grades include premium, ideal/excellent, very good, good, fair, and poor.
- Diamonds with the complete absence of color are considered to be the most rare and most desirable.
It is preferable to select a diamond with the least amount of color.
- The grading system for diamond color begins at the high end with the letter D and goes all the way to the letter Z at the low end.
- Almost all diamonds contain tiny, natural imperfections, some of which are only visible under magnifications.
- Clarity is the measure of the size and number of imperfections or inclusions found in a diamond. Most of these inclusions do not affect the overall beauty of the diamond.
- Clarity grades include: Flawless or Internally Flawless (F or IF), Very Very Slightly Included (VVS), Very Slightly Included (VS), Slightly Included (SI), and Included.
- The weight of diamonds is expressed in carats.
- Merely looking at a diamond cannot accurately determine its carat weight.
Different jewelers will offer different engagement ring collections, different services, and different quality stones. One of the best parts about buying an engagement ring online is that it’s very easy to compare different jewelers. You don’t have to drive from shop to shop, you can simply visit different sites to get an idea of what is being offered.
It’s important to know that there is no “best” store that is perfect for everyone. Your needs and preferences are unique from everyone else’s. For instance, if you like a certain style of ring, a jeweler that doesn’t sell this style won’t be the right store for you, no matter how good they are in other aspects.
Use Reputable Stores
It might be tempting to look at auction or classified sites to “get a deal,” but there’s a very good chance of being scammed by these sites as well. That’s why it’s important to shop at reputable stores and to realize that if something looks to good to be true, it probably is.
Read reviews before making a purchase. Reputable sites will have reviews available on Google and various other sites. It’s also a good idea to ask friends or family members for recommendations.
Know the Seller’s Policies
Knowing the policies of the seller is always crucial, especially when buying an engagement ring online. Pay special attention to return policies, ring resizing policies, shipping costs, and other similar policies.
For instance, Damasci’s refund policy includes the return of your online purchase within 30 days of shipment for a full refund or exchange and we cover the return shipping costs. All Damasci customers receive one complimentary ring resizing, within 60 days of purchase.